A little DIY

Six years ago I dug up part of my lawn and built raised beds to grow vegetables. I used planks from an old shed and some old bookshelves (and yes, to quote my assistant gardener, I removed the books first). Six years on and the wood is beginning to rot a bit. One side fell off this one. Bella probably helped:

WP_20160515_001

So today’s task was to try and fix them up to last at least another season. DIY is not really my thing but I can manage the simpler tasks of drilling holes, with a trusty hand drill, and tightening screws. Ta da:

WP_20160515_006
That was a bookshelf raised bed. It’s empty at the moment, waiting for the runner beans, and covered in netting to keep the cat off. The old shed plank one was rather more weathered:

WP_20160515_003

but I fixed it too.  The wood on these won’t last forever but a little bit of love and attention should keep them going for this year at least.

While I was down on my knees, observing the rotten wood and the moss and the little creatures running about, I had a slug’s eye view of the runner beans in the seed house – and look what they’ve been up to:

WP_20160515_007Lots of little green leaves popping up.  Another week or so and they can go out to the newly fixed raised bed and start running up the bean poles.

2 thoughts on “A little DIY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s